Thursday, September 14, 2006

INTERNET AT LAST

So, I returned home after a hard day at the office (class room) to find that after 3 weeks the internet has finally been connected in our rooms. This only happened after I went to the teacher in charge of the matter - who quite frankly doesn't know her arse from her elbow, but at the same time is a lovely lady - and threatened to strike on Monday unless we had the internet. After being promised it would come "tomorrow" for the last two weeks and after shelling out about 300 Yuan on Phone Cards (sounds alot but its only £20) we finally have it, so updates will be more frequent and photos are on the way!

School has been good this week, I'm started the first of about 5 lessons on Family and Friends. I taught them the English for the main family members- father,mother,sister,brother etc and then had them stand up and introduce their family. We then went round the class and described each other-which is setting them up for drawing a picture of their family and describing how the members look differently from them - taller, stronger, fatter etc.

Lost my temper with a few classes and really had to lay down the law as in some no one bothered to do the homework. I know that these kids are at school from 6am to 10pm and they have a lot more important work to do, but I only asked for a flipping picture so they could have at least done something 5 minutes before the lesson or whilst I was collecting everyone elses in.

I also sent one boy outside for being annoying, broke one lads glasses and made one perfectic species cry- knew I was cut out for this teaching lark. Easy As 1-2-3!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm dead jealous as I sit here in my corporate suit at the start of 40 years of hard toil till I get another proper holiday! Sounds like you're having a great time, although I'd be interested to find out how you came to break some kid's glasses.