Tuesday, September 05, 2006

First days as a Teacher

Have managed to find an internet cafe where we can get onto the internet to update this. But there appears to be some movement on the internet in our rooms front- 2 chinese men turned up, drilled a hole, dropped off a modem and disappeared- apparently we should be able to access it in a few days. When that works we can finally start putting photos up, and updating more regularly.

Teaching started yesterday. My first class was 7.45am in the morning and I didn't really have a clue what to do-in all honestly I was useless. I teach 21 different classes each week, each of 30 odd children, so the chances of me learning any of their names of ever recognising the kids outside of the class are remote to zero. Teaching 21 classes does infact mean I have to repeat the same single lesson 21 times in one week- which can get pretty tedious, as you can imagine.

Most of the kids are aged between 11-13 and are all pretty friendly and speak good english for their age. A few are little buggers but I've only had one who has seriously annoyed me so far- I asked him a question and instead of answering he looked down at his watch and did a countdown of 10..9..8...7 etc until the school bell rang. I said "very clever, but don't think about doing it again, else I'll knick your watch".

Some of the classes are hard work and don't seem to want to participate, but most are fine and as time goes on I've got this particular lesson-on introducing yourself and what did you do in your holidays- down to a fine art.

I've not a clue what to teach next week though!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Countdown kid sounds like a joker!!

Sounds like your having a wicked good time...rock on markillie.