Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Jesus only spent 40 days and 40 nights in the wilderness...

This saturday marked our centinary of being in China. 100 Days and 100 Nights since we arrived on August 25th. Three and a half months without a single chinese lesson and we have survived. I have only been sick once and only once have I been rushed to a hospital. Victory is so far mine!

To celebrate our "achievement" we had a special weekend planned. First of all we ate in a new restuarant down town. Had a decent meal and a little to drink. We then went back to Anthony's house for dessert. Anthony is our French Friend and he is so similar to my other (half) French friend Will it makes me laugh. I could not help but chuckle to myself as Ant complained about the quality of chinese chocolate, jam, butter and the complete lack of nutella! Whilst both quite similar in the taste departments, Anthony's pancakes put Mr Towell's to shame. They were superb and nicely finished off a enjoyable meal.




After the pancakes we headed to a new Club; Mezzo Club. We had been told that this club sees Westerners as a sort of Celebrity and so they ply you with free drinks whenever you go, and even pay you for going (£15 for 10 Appearances). Dave and I were a little sceptical that this would occur but to our delight within minutes of arriving free shots of Vodka were handed out and this carried on till 4am in the morning. Vodka, Bijou, Beer and Whisky and not a single penny or yi jao spent on any of it! Superb. The club itself was cool and played a decent mix of English music (i seem to remember "I Love you Baaaaby!" and "killing in the Name of") and the usual Chinese fare. The staff were cool and were up for a laugh-did not even mind me beating them in the dice game- look at the photo- two 6's and two 4's! Followed that up with a third 6! Result! We stayed at the club till 4am and then got a taxi to the all night cafe where we ate and drank a little more. Found myself getting to bed about 6am after a thoroughly good night!




100 days has past quite easily really-surprising seeing as you probably serve less time for burglary back home now. Dave and I are still enjoying ourselves but we are really looking forward to seeing my parents for the weekend so we can escape the Shiz and get a change of scenary. Things get a little boring here to say the least as we have nothing to do in the evenings but watch TV or go on the internet. Wish we had more chance to travel about. Teaching is still fine, it's just a job now. Don't think either Dave and I let it bother us anymore. We hardly talk about it, sometimes something funny happens- i.e one of the shites gives you an excuse to want to kill him- and we share it but otherwise we just let it pass by. I still dread getting up in the mornings every day though and I'm sure he does too!

We both think the school should organise things for us to do in the evening. But, as the lack of any chinese tuition may demonstrate, I don't think the school cares about us that much. We find stff to keep us busy though- usually the west wing! This week however we are having a cooking lesson on thursday and before that, on wedneday, we are going to a student's house for dinner. Both of which should be fun!

As I mentioned above the parents are in town from friday. So we are going to Beijing this weekend and then next week we are hopefully off to Xian to see the Terra Cotta army. Should be fun. Parents have had a great time in New Zealand so I just hope they enjoy their time here quite as much! Here are some photos from their trip! It looks amazing, kind of makes me wish that I was there with them!

No comments: