Tuesday, December 12, 2006

GONG BAO JI DING!

To make up for that fact that Dave and I have recieved precisely no chinese speaking or writing lessons since we have been here I thought that I would ask if we could have a cooking lesson. I asked Nancy, one of the teachers in No.42 who I share an office with and quite a good friend. She said that whilst she was no cook she was happy to come along and have a friend show us how to cook whilst she ate the results!

The couple's house we went to was fantastic (again). They were both English teachers and the husband had spent a year in America, and the western influence was there to be seen. They both spoke near perfect English and made us feel very, very welcome.



We were taught how to make Gong Bao Ji Ding, which is a chicken dish with cashew nuts, carrots and cucumber in a slightly spicy sauce. It is one of our favourites in China, I think we must eat it almost every other day, and now I have the recipie I will be sure to cook it for any one who is lucky enough to be invited to one of my Chinese Banquets!

It was a great experience, and together with going to Shirly's for Hotpot, will be one of the best memories I take home from our trip here

.

No comments: